Thursday, August 23, 2012

Kids Day

How can you not love a full day of kids getting to be kids??!!

That is just what we did on Thursday we all Loved Loved playing and being a kid right along side the children of Susu. I'm actually not sure who had more fun the kids or the nurses. 

Kids day is when I fell in Love with another Little Girl named Gloria. (I seem to have a heart for little girls :) When I first saw Gloria she was sad or mad during the opening of the children singing. She frowned at me and wouldn't smile at all, it broke my heart and I made it my mission to see this little girl smile by the end of the day. 
Gloria is the little girl in the middle frowning at me.

Once I smiled at Gloria and started trying to make her laugh she soon became totally attached to my hip and she didn't leave me until our bus left at the end of the day! Gloria has a special place in my heart! 


All the kids loved sunglasses!! Gloria got to wear mine most of the day :)
We played games with the kids, they held a runway show for us sporting their school uniforms and so super cute models, we did lots of singing, face painting, and LOTS of LAUGHTER!!!!! 


We also served the children lunch at the Susu Kitchen and Feeding Program. Since it was a special occasion with us there they had there "thanksgiving" type meal. The meal consisted of chicken, a cole slaw type salad, and rice. For most of the children this is the only meal they get a day. Nurses For Africa supports the feeding program year round which cost $20/month per child. The feeding program goes on every day around 1pm and the "orphaned" children are fed. This feeding program is a huge help to the families that have taken in the orphaned children since they already have very limited funds and food to care for their family. 
The Girls also got to go home with new dresses!! There is an awesome group of ladies here in the United States that sews some amazing pillow case dresses for the girls in Africa and we had the privilege of handing them out and seeing the smile on the young girls faces. We also made up special little gifts for each of the kids that consisted of things such as glow sticks, crayons, stickers, sunglasses, beads, etc......
The JOY and EXCITEMENT of each child was just amazing to see. They were so appreciative and thankful for everything they received. There was no but he got that or she got that, I wanted that.....they were just thankful!! What a blessing these children are and they are so hopeful and full of spirit!! 


And She smiles...................So Beautiful sweet Gloria!! 


There is No better medicine then Laughter!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment