Sunday, August 19, 2012

Worship in Susu

To describe in words what Church was like in Susu is nearly impossible and it's an experience I will never forget and it's truly a life changing experience. I stand in awe and listen to them worship and praise God, even though in our eyes they have "nothing" but as you worship you realize they have EVERYTHING.

I have never felt so close to God as I did that Sunday and the only way I can describe it is I had peace and with every song we sang, with every word that was said, the only thing I could do was smile, smile because I knew God is there in Susu caring for the poor and I was blessed to be called to be the hands to do the work that God has called us to do.

A little story about Susu from the Hands at Work Website:

"Susu is an extraordinarily poor and isolated community in central Zambia. When Hands at Work Field worker Lawrence Kunda began visiting Susu the community was in despair. Poverty was widespread and alcoholism was a way of life. Nearly everyone existed only by subsistence farming and couldn't afford access to schools or a trip to see the doctor for sick children.
Local Community member Sanday was in such a situation when Lawrence discovered him. Lawrence struck up a friendship and began mentoring Sanday, slowly discipling him over many months about the love and compassion of Christ. In 2009 Sanday realized his faith was leading him to start doing something more for the vulnerable community around him. "

Sanday is now the pastor of the church in Susu and is an amazing leader and servant for the village.

Sanday and Lawrence sitting together on a bench outside of the church in Susu

Church service lasted approx 3 1/2 hours I think and it didn't end when we left the doors it continued on as the choir continued outside singing and worshiping. All I have to say is can you imagine if our church service lasted that long???!!! The children that sat there in church didn't have toys, or coloring books to play with, there were no children's bulletins, they sat on the benches so calm and so quiet and worshiping God......AMAZING!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment